Sunday, August 07, 2005

Man!....They're just not trying anymore

I saw the new Cirque Du Soleil show called, "Corteo," last night. It was a split stage with half of the audience on one side and half on the other. A representation of heaven and earth.

Gone is the elaborate make-up, the colorful costumes, (see picture), the haunting music, hell they didn’t even play Metallica in the second act as I requested....Ok I joke. It was excellent as usual. Visually stunning and stunningly visual.

This was my 5th Cirque show, so I feel that I am somewhat qualified to form an opinion. As stated, although the past trademark visuals were absent, the show still had a Phantomesque feel to it that was more alluring than the costume/make-up eye-candy of the past.

The performances were breath taking and the music was less somber, possessing a joyous life that had started to revel itself in past performances like "Varikai" and "Drallion," but had never stood alone like it does in "Corteo".

Except for a few misplaced and awkward comedic bits, I would strongly recommend this production. The only suggestion I would make,....lose the goggles, barbeque fork and the Chuck Norris DVD.



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alas, the ever so stylish goggles have been eaten by a gargantuan beast that thinks he's a lap dog. Thats right....Meatball (aka goofball)was having a moment of reliving his youth, when he started to "nibble' on them. Hmmmmmmmm....maybe he was reminiscing about destroying my leather boots....shoes...
Anyway....the movie was skewered with the pitch fork, but all in all....it was hilarious!!! I might add that the shorts survived the whole ordeal. Although, Im not sure if thats a good thing though

Strange said...

Gee...that's swell....I'm not sure I know who you are? Who is this Meatball you speak of?

Anonymous said...

Meatball is the "Beast from the East" who enjoys gnawing on just about anything and who NEVER shows remorse but rather taunts his victims.
As for me....Im sorella's sorella ;-)

Strange said...

Mayor? Is that you?....just kidding Mom...see you Sunday for the 40th.

Anonymous said...

I am interested in your blogs.