Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Clean up in aisle two.


So I watched Michael Clayton coming away with the same feeling I had the first time I saw Pulp Fiction; I knew it was a good movie but I didn’t know why I felt that way. I guess it’s because the entire movie George was either coming across as a lawyer, a cop, or a janitor, (I didin’t see him pick up a broom once).

It’s not that the movie’s disjointed, or confusing, it’s just I had the feeling I’d sat through an hour and a half of Old Navy commercials. I mean sure, I know they’re selling me clothes, but why all the fuckin’ dancing?

As far as an Oscar coming Clooney’s way, I don’t see it. Perhaps Tom Wilkinson for his brilliant role but there’s heavy competition from the supporting category, most notably Hal Holbrook and Javier Bardem.

However, it’s the same George we saw in Syriana, Good Night and Good Luck, and Ocean's 11 through 13. Jesus! Even ER if you want to go back that far.

Maybe Mister Clooney is like the kid who’s happy he’s been accepted into the "Choking Game" at school. He can’t see it’s not really such a good thing.

I put Michael Clayton in the Charlie Wilson's War category: movies that are OK but not quite there.

No comments: