Friday, January 20, 2006

Swimming with sharks and loving it


I’ve been writing novels for 4 ½ years and shopping for a deal for 3. Although there have been several small victories in this process, the response has always been a resounding, "No". Until now.

Let me explain.

Recently I sent a query to...oh let’s call them Agent X. Agent X was quick to respond and ask for the entire manuscript, a request I found a tad odd. Since I send out numerous queries of my work, I had to call up their website again to find out who I was dealing with.

Much to my chagrin, I found I didn’t send them my usual query, I filled out Agent X's on-line form giving them minimal information on my manuscript. With further research I uncovered, I had erroneously sent them my info in the first place, as they are listed on numerous sites as, "Book Surgeons," with strong recommendations to steer clear of their scams. In fact some of the comments I read about Agent X were so vile, I won't display them here.

So what did I do?

I emailed them my manuscript as they requested and told my girl D they would offer me representation.

Her eyes nearly popped out of her head when a mere 10 days later, they did indeed offer me representation and seemed to be in a hell of a hurry to send the contracts. They also wanted me to, "polish," my, "impressive," work with an, "independent editor".

When I was done laughing, I sent them a reply indicating I already had an editor working on my novel but if they still felt it needed further review I was open to suggestions. After all, I’m itchy to get a book deal. I also asked for a list of their recent sales in my genre. I wonder how they'll deal with that?

I have to admit, it is nice being on this side of the fence for a change, knowing I’m going to blow them off. I just wonder how long I can string them along and make them salivate for the cash before I tell them they're not the agent for me?

Hey, If I wanted to through money away, I'd use a self publishing site.

No comments: