Saturday, February 23, 2013

Oscar Reviews part 3

 
Django Unchained: Even if I had no idea Tarentino directed this film, I would quickly surmise his handy work has behind it. It's shot in true Tarentino fashion, violent kills, quick witted dialogue, questionable language, interesting film techniques and angles to keep it fresh and original. Also there is the trademark Tarentino cameo as well, but lose the Australian accent Quentin.
 
In a perfect world this movie, or Silver Linings Playbook win best film, but it's not a perfect world is it? Maybe Quentin adds to his original screen play Pulp Fiction win, but we'll have to wait and see.
 
Lincoln: Spoiler alert! Lincoln dies! No hunting vampires this time around so I found it a little boring...no wait a minute...I found it a lot boring. In fact it put me to sleep almost as fast as watching The Master with Philip Seymour Hoffman did. OK, sure Daniel Day Lewis will get an Oscar for best actor and sure it might snag a few others in the process, but where is the fun Steven Spielberg? This movie needs Gremlins and Extraterrestrials and yes...vampires- but not the shirtless kind, just to keep me from punching z's.
 
It's lost a lot of steam so I don't see it winning best pic.
 
Argo: Spoiler alert! Six Americans make it out of Iran! I really enjoyed this movie, but I have to ask a serious question; Do the Americans have to shit on everything Canada does? I'm always skeptical when I see phrases like "based on a true story," because you know creative licence comes into play and for the sake of entertainment liberties are taken and stretched. Sure, there must have been a lot of behind the scenes jostling going on at the time, but I'm old enough to remember this story and it seems to me there were a number of inconsistencies.

All in all, a good movie that will win best picture this year.

No comments: