Sunday, March 07, 2010

Let's be serious for a moment



So here it is the morning of the Oscar telecast and I still have two movies to go- thank you Academy for making the field of 5 pictures into 10 and cramping my freakin' brain. Now I have to do the last two films together.

The reason I left these ones til last was I hadn't seen them.

Let me just say as far as A Serious Man goes, I love anything the Coen brothers produce: Raising Arizona, The Big Lebowski, Fargo, No Country for Old Men, Burn After Reading...I could go on. Yet, I get the feeling, since the bros picked up best film for No Country For Old Men, the Academy considers the debt to their genius paid in full.

Don't look for anything but a recognition they were nominated in this category.


Like the Coen Brothers and his father before him, Jason Reitman is one of the sharper tools in the shed. I enjoyed Thank You For Smoking and Juno, but I feel Hollywood is going to let him twist in the wind for a few more films before he gets his due.

Up In the Air is an enjoyable movie as were the aforementioned, but Best Picture nod? I don't think so. Given what some of the other films accomplished this year, there's just not enough umph to push this one over the top.

Enjoy the Oscars.

No comments: