Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Oscar reviews #6

True Grit



Let's make one thing perfectly clear, I love the Coen Brothers. In fact, I would have their children if I could, but sadly absent of womb has left me void of offering such a proposition to the beloved duo.

Any hoo, back to the film. I found myself constantly referring to the original while watching this film, after all Jeff Bridges with his Dude eye-patch had some pretty big boots to fill- one John Wayne. Bridges did an excellent job not only recreating the character, but putting his own spin on it.

I even liked that Hailee Steinfeld chick, who I felt improved on the original role and Matt Damon....well he's no Glen Campbell, but passable.

My problem is, the Coen brothers are competing against themselves now and when I stack up all their work to this one it doesn't stand out as the best cinematic offering. It isn't No Country For Old Men, nor is it as good as Burn After Reading, The Big Lebowski, Raising Arizona, Fargo...the list goes on.

So how can I expect it to win the Oscar for best picture when it doesn't top the Coen brothers own work? I don't.

But fictitiously, the offer still stands to the Coen brothers and their impressive body of work. I await impregnation.

No comments: